Blogs > In The Room with Anthony SanFilippo

Daily Times beat writer Anthony J. SanFilippo takes you inside the locker rooms of the Philadelphia Flyers and the rest of the NHL.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A WRITER OFF THE INJURED LIST... AND THE NHL PROMOTING CENSORSHIP

Hi all,

I'm back from the D.L. and with the team full time again.

I didn't report it on here, but I have a nerve injury in my left arm as a result of too much typing. My recovery is ongoing, but I can't do any more damage, so I can now return to full-time duties.

Thanks to my editor Rob Parent and my colleague Jon Campbell for filling in.

Now, back to the NHL.

Anyone catch the latest suspension in the league?

The NHL put Dallas Stars pest Sean Avery on the shelf indefinitely for making a rude comment about actress Elisha Cuthbert.

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on TSN, the Canadian ESPN. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Avery dated Cuthbert when he was a player in Los Angeles. Cuthbert is now dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf.

The league immediately suspended Avery, who will not be available for the game tonight in Calgary.

This is wrong. You can't censor the guy. We live in a free society and if people want to chose to be idiots, they can be idiots. No one can tell them otherwise.

It's not like he said anything related to the sport of hockey that would be detrimental - which is what the league cited as their cause for the suspension.

This opened up a brand new can of worms. Now anytime a player says anything about anybody they are subject to discipline.

Heaven for bid they have a political opinion that Gary Bettman disagrees with.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon Anthony!!!

December 17, 2008 at 1:24 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home