Blogs > In The Room with Anthony SanFilippo

Daily Times beat writer Anthony J. SanFilippo takes you inside the locker rooms of the Philadelphia Flyers and the rest of the NHL.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

CARCILLO MAKES HIS CASE

Before Tuesday's 5-2 over the Canadiens, we caught up with Daniel Carcillo, who found out he was in the lineup for a second straight game while James van Riemsdyk rested his tweaked lower body.

Here's what Danny had to say:

"It's frustrating not playing. I got to play (Sunday), went in there and played my game. You have to play well because you know if you don't you're going to come right back out. There's a little more emphasis on your game. You got to bring what he (coach Peter Laviolette) wants to see. Everyone here has their roles. Once I get a chance to play my job is to bring energy, get the guys going. Give hits, stuff like that.

"Obviously you want to be playing. It sucks big time not playing. Especially with the guys doing well. When you win, you don't come out of the lineup, so hopefully I can keep contributing and keep winning.

"I don't talk to him (Laviolette) much. We don't talk much. I know what I have to do. I just have to skate and hit every game and bring energy. That's what he wants out of me every game. Whether it be with (Mike Richards) and (Andreas) Nodl or with (Jody) Shelley and (Blair) Betts you know you're going to see the same game from me.

"I get a long with everybody and I've made a lot of friends here. It's a tough situation for sure. It's not something I thought I'd be in this year, but it is what it is. It's a roller coaster. It's ups and downs."

Sounds like Carcillo and Laviolette don't quite see eye to eye.

However, Carcillo made a case to stay in the lineup after the All-Star break with a goal in the win over the Habs. He also stirred the pot a few times and really got under the skin of the Canadiens in the six short minutes of ice he got before being banished to the locker room in the third period with a misconduct.



"When Danny plays in the lineup he needs to continue to do what he did against Chicago. He played an aggressive game and he skated well. It's always a little easier when he's playing with Mike not from a personnel standpoint but from a minutes standpoint. Mike's line gets out there on a pretty regular basis. He was in the game and active and he did a good job with his physical presence."


So, should he stay in the lineup?

There are those who argue he should be ahead of Shelley because he brings more skill, but the fact is, Carcillo is not an enforcer, Shelley is.

Also, Shelley is well-liked in the locker room and is a respected voice on the bench as well.

So, who comes out?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

andreas nodl should sit for carcillo.

January 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home